As your new home will likely be the largest investment in your lifetime, hiring a builder is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Choosing the right builder for you and your home is critical for a successful experience as you and he/she will have an ongoing relationship for months; therefore, there needs to be clear communication, trust and a sense of camaraderie in this endeavor. A good home builder should be an advocate and team member of the collaborative process in building your new home and he/she will work with you as you establish parameters for the budget along with the design and construction process. The following are timely tips that should ensure a good working relationship with a home builder and successful completion of building the dream home you have saved and planned for when the time arrives to execute the final piece of the journey.
- Network with local lenders, real estate agents and friends/colleagues along with an internet search for competent and reliable home builders. Also, a search of your local chapter of the National Association of Home Builders can also provide a list of qualified local home builders.
- Request examples of the home builders work making sure he/she has experience in building homes similar in nature, i.e. – size and scope; commiserate with your home building plans. Request references and examples of the exterior and interior work recently completed along with the names and numbers of the references for follow-up.
- Have a detailed conversation with the builder, asking relevant questions to ensure the builder uses the upmost level of professionalism in all his presentations and conversations, whether formal or informal.
- Request a copy of pertinent licenses, their current insurance company and bonding information while simultaneously ensuring there are no legal claims, current or otherwise, on the builder.
- Make sure the builder has excellent written and oral communication skills; this may seem trivial but the ability to efficiently communicate cannot be minimized.
- Always have a dependable source of contact, as emergencies and the like will invariably arise and oftentimes, the sub-contractors and others in the home daily will be unable to make the decisions necessary at critical times.
As with any large purchase, planning is a key feature of the process and finding the right home builder for your dream house may be confusing, awkward and time consuming; however, you are possibly engaging in the largest purchase of your lifetime and need to be confident in your decision. So, do your homework and conduct the appropriate research to ensure a seamless and satisfying home building process.